College Football Hall of Fame Belongs in South Bend, not Atlanta
by Randy Snow
Originally posted on AmericanChronicle.com, Friday, October 2, 2009
On September 22, the National Football Foundation announced that the College Football Hall of Fame, which is currently located in South Bend, Indiana, would be moving to Atlanta sometime in 2012. The South Bend location is not drawing the kind of numbers that the foundation expected, so this move is all about money. But sometimes, it should be about what is right, rather than what is the most profitable.
In my opinion, South Bend is the perfect location for the Hall of Fame. There is no other city in the country that can boast the kind of college football history and tradition that South Bend has. The Hall has been in South Bend since 1995 after moving from Kings Mills, Ohio. It is a wonderful place to visit and to learn about the great players and events that have made college football the spectacle that it is today.
football legacy in South Bend began with legendary Notre Dame coach Knute Rockne,
who first came to national attention as a player for the Fighting Irish. The
forward pass was added to the college football playbook in 1906, but many
schools were reluctant to use it and preferred to continue to emphasize the
running game. But Notre Dame Coach Jesse Harper believed in the forward pass and
integrated it into his game plan. As a end/receiver, Rockne and quarterback Gus
Dorais shocked the college football world when the Irish traveled to West Point
and beat a powerful Army team 35-13 in 1913 with a newly perfected passing
attack, the likes of which had not been seen on the east coast up to that time.
Beyond South Bend, several other teams in the
Midwest helped to establish the region as the cradle of early college football.
The University of Chicago is where legendary coach Amos Alonzo Stagg made a name
for himself. The Galloping Ghost (Red Grange) and Coach Bob Zuppke put the
University of Illinois on the map in the 1920īs and it was the vision of
Fielding Yost at Michigan that produced a one-of-a-kind stadium in 1927 that
simply became known as "The Big House."